Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:38:36 EST
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Shady Boy awning, US dollars

** Reply to message from Daniel Bey <DanielisOk@AOL.COM> on Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:33:11 EDT

If you want one for about $20 bucks, here it is (the snag is you have to put it up and take it down): 8x10 poly tarp, a 2x2 sticky-back velcro set, two expanding tent poles, two pegs (nail type preferred), 2-3 pieces of light line, several bungee cords, and (optionally) one of those strap-type load binders with a friction lock -- not the ratchet kind.

Orient the tarp with the long side running fore-and-aft. *Sew* one side of the velcro to the rear corner, as it won't actually stick to the poly. Take a 24" bungee to the corner, double it back around the hinge and forward again to the corner. Now take another 24" from a grommet slightly aft of the forward end of the tent and carry it to the rear middle attachment on the luggage rack. Take a piece of line or for greatest ease the load binder, carry it from the front corner grommet down to the metal post hidden behind the plastic post on the opposite side of the lower grill. Tighten this until you have a comfortable overhang in front, then go back and clean and apply the other velcro as high and close to the tent-side as possible. It will be covered by the closed top, so it won't suffer from the sun. [Note: this velcro is the weak point in the system. It's needed to keep the tarp tight up against the tent, but because of the curved roof it's always in "semi pull-off" mode. I'm thinking of putting a hook or stud of some type there.] At this point the tarp is installed, i.e. the velcro is correctly placed.

To put it up, same as above, except now tighten the forward strap until the two velcros match, then stick them together. Take the tent poles to the two outer grommets and guy them with a line and peg each. If the direction of the guy line is directly from corner to corner of the tarp, you won't need more than one on each corner. Tie the guys with a slipping knot so you can adjust the pole heights -- we use a rolling hitch, aka (thank you BSA) the tautline hitch. You can now raise or lower the outer ends depending on conditions -- if it's raining, bring them below horizontal, then hang a bungee with a weight from one of the outside grommets to form a valley for the rain to run off (you may have to ditch from there, 'cause a quite surprising amount of rain can run off the thing). If you get pooling on top, valley is not deep enough or guys aren't properly placed.

Setup time if your stuff is organized is about two minutes until the sliding door is protected under the hanging flap, another three or so to get the poles set up. Takedown is a little longer because you have to fold the tarp. With nail-type pegs, you can generally push them in with your foot and pull them out by tugging on the guys. Don't forget to empty any water out of the poles.

We either stow the poles along the side of the tent, outside the frame and bed; and the tarp in the cupboard; or the tarp rolled around the poles and the whole thing stowed in the middle of the top bed (it sticks out forward about a foot).

We got all the stuff except possibly Velcro from WalMart. Be sure to check that the tops of the tent poles will fit through the grommets in the tarp.

Works great for us... :)

david

David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net> 401 274-5827 voice, -6349 fax OS/2 V4, FP7, JVM 1.1.6, JSM 98.6.3