Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Oct 1998 16:34:50 -0800
From:         gerry rafferty <gerryr@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      BALL JOINT REPLACEMENTS
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Put a message on the list regarding ball joint replacement-Thanks to Mike(mike and becky),Darrell Boehler,Pete Zendzian for their suggestions.Armed with these ,the Bentley and the Haynes Here's what I did. 1.Remove tyre (use a safety stand) 2.Remove upper ball joint nut(24mm) 3.Remove 2 bolts(19mm) holding brake caliper-this was the hardest part of job-they were in tight used lots of Aerokroil, a "breaker" bar (24inch 1inch dia. fencing pipe for that extra leverage).At this point I removed the tierod-able to pivot steering knuckle for better access Used a wire coat hanger to hold brake calper out of the way. 4.Remove tierod nut(19mm).I used a TieRod End Lifter(a hammer could be used)-back off locking nut 1/8 turn and remove tie rod end. 5.Remove hub nut(27mm) and remove hub/brake disc assy.You now access the 3 screws of the splash guard.Remove guard. 6.Remove 2 hex bolts(6mm) of upper ball joint-separated wishbone then used a balljoint separator or "pickle"(looks like a tuning fork ,$9Cdn,highly recommended) to separate upper balljoint from steering knuckle. 7.Remove lower balljoint nut(27mm) to end of thread,place small jack under 3 lowerjoint adaptor retaining bolts(I didn't remove these as called for) then hammer out lower balljoint and steering knuckle.REMOVE CIRCLIP from top of lower balljoint. On LH (drivers) side you'll have to remove speedometer cable-remove circlip on hub cap and pull through. At this point I took the steering knuckle to VW shop who pressed old lower balljoint and pressed new one in .REMEMBER TO INSTALL CIRCLIP. Reassembly opposite of disassembly. Took van for wheel alignment Took me 1.5 days to do Hope this helps someone GerryR

[text/html]