Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:59:19 -0600
From:         Jim Fritz <jfritz@DECORAH.K12.IA.US>
Subject:      Re: locations please
Comments: To: Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>,
          vanagon <vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Reply to: Re: locations please Volks,

I find this locator idea a good one for future trips/commaraderie/mechanical help. It might be nice to be able to put names and locations (names and faces have always been what it took for me to remember names otherwise). As someone who's relatively new to the list and planning to strike out on his first "Westy Adventure" next summer, it would be nice to know where "your friends are".

We currently own 3 VWs. A 91 Passat Wagon GL, an 89 Westy, and a 66 Beetle. My first lusting for a VW came when I was 16 back in the late 60s. A friend had a classic "hippy/peace van" all painted and dolled up. I wanted that van soooo bad. Anyway, finally convinced my dad that it would be OK and was ready to buy it. The day before the transaction was to take place, the guy rolled it. End of story. I bought an 81 Rabbit LS (precursor of the GTI) that was a pocket rocket and fun to drive. My wife, on the other hand grew up in Southern California and her family owned splitties, buses, Things, Beetles and VWs of nearly every stripe. Her dad worked on VWs for years and is currently in the process of completing a 53 Beetle (which we've already called dibs on!) So, its been a natural for us. It just took 30 years for me to get my van. And besides that, with a name like Fritz..........

We live in Decorah, IA home of Luther college. Decorah is located 15 miles from the Minnesota border and 40 miles from the Mississippi River. It is NOT table top flat as most would think but rather quite hilly, wooded and beautiful. Seems this little corner of the state missed out on the last glacier and it left us with our high limerock bluffs, chimney rock formations and the beautiful Upper Iowa River valley (the river runs through our back yard!). Anyway, its a great place to visit or camp. If you're Norwegian: Decorah is the "Iowa Lake Wobegon", was settled by Norwegians, has the largest Norwegian-American museum in the country, and still sports authentic Norwegian bachelor farmers :-) Stop by if you're ever in the area!

We're planning a 4 week trip next summer through the Badlands, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Tetons, Glacier, up to Banff, Calgary, Edmonton and back to Iowa. (have I missed anything?) I'll be asking for help in planning this soon as its our first venture like this ever. All we've ever done before is fly to S. CA to visit family and our annual pilgrimmage to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. Our 7 year old daughter is WAY excited about the idea of camping/traveling and I'm really looking forward to it too!

Jim Fritz 91 Passat Wagon GL 89 Westy 66 Beetle 53 Beetle (soon!) Decorah, IA