Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Oct 1998 17:15:22 -0800
From:         Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 16" tires
Comments: To: Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 6:33 AM 10/25/98, Blue Eyes wrote:

> >So an empty Westy Vanagon weights 4900 pounds, or about 2225 kg. Then >families pack it with gear, lash the boat on the roof, and all get in. The >center of gravity is higher than those autos you cited, and the stress on the >sidewalls when turning close to the limit of what the vehicle will go is not >equivalent to those cars either.

NO...the GrossVehicleWeightRating, GWVR, of a Vanagon Campmobile (86-91) is 5160lb. That's GROSS...meaning with everything in it, built-ins, fluids, passengers, and gear.

The ready to drive (unladen) wight is most likely around 3700-3900lb.

I'm very happy with the performance and handling of my 205/70R14rf 99s Michelin MXTs.

Supportive of Per's observation, however, our '93 MercuryVillager mini-van is shod with Goodyear EagleGA 215/70R15 97H tires as part of the factory "handling kit". These tires are 3ply sidewall, "standard load", with 1620lb max load at 44psi cold. The GWVR of the Villager is 5465lb. When the (heavy) rains come, I intend to replace them with whatever MXT equivalent is available...

>Were you only running them empty and >straight, I'd find your argument much more compelling.

Wonder how much some of the tires Per mentioned cost?

OLTECO Ari Ollikainen P.O. BOX 3688 Networking Technology and Architecture Stanford, CA Ari@OLTECO.com 94309-3688 415.517.3519