Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Oct 1998 21:52:10 -0800
From:         Randolph Feuerriegel <RFeuerriegel@BC.SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Todd Hill: R.Feuerriegel's syncro vibration
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi again. Thanks for the response Todd.

> I would almost suspect that it is still out of balance. Has this > shop worked on this type of driveshaft before?

Yes,as a matter of fact, they say that they have worked on a few, so far successfully. I did give them a call from the top of Van.Isl. to discuss more of what they did. I was told that they did not balance it again, because no parts were changed, really only checked for play and lubed. Also the technician said that if it were out of balance, the vibration would not go away, in theory. Maybe thats the key. Do it again.

> Do you notice the shake/vibration > through the steering wheel or mainly through the steering wheel > and the whole Van vibrates along with it, or is it equally > distributed throughout the whole Van??

The best way to describe it would be through the seat, the stick, all the pedals, and the steering wheel. With the shaft out, I have at times felt a quick tremor in the steering wheel. Nothing lasting more than a second or so.

> there is the possibility that there might be > some side loading going on and you might be causing some damage.

When the shaft originally suffered a bad u-joint, the van was driven a good distance before it was discovered to be the joint. I was a novice then, now learning to recognize problems. If I had done damage to the output shaft of the tranny, or the input shaft of the front diff, would it be felt or heard while driving with the shaft out? Damaged bearings? Previously, when the shaft was out, the van felt good with the exception of the quick tremor as I noted above. Definitely not the vibration I experienced with the shaft in. Well, I shall continue on for awhile. Its pouring rain here in Prince Rupert, and I don't much feel like crawling underneath right now. Thanks again for your observations.

R.Feuerriegel 88 syncro Travelling Hwy 16.