Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:31:32 -0500
From:         Bulley-Hewlett & Associates <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: location (wee bit long)
Comments: To: "vanagon@vanagon.com" <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Listees--

We are Matthew & Suzanne Bulley, in Cary, NC, USA, just outside of Raleigh. (For those of you just tuning in, there was a discussion about 9 months back under the heading "demographics" where some listees responded to a similar query. I skimped on my response then, so here is the complete coverage.)

I was born in San Diego, CA, grew up in Eastern NC, and have lived/traveled all over continental US during careers in the US Marine Corps, and as a Broadcaster and consultant. Suzanne is from New England originally, and spent the last 15 years in Washington, DC where we met. She is a tall, beautiful gem, and we are disgustingly in love. I am currently running our small consulting firm, she is Director of Organizational Development for another consulting firm in RTP, and is the controlling partner in our firm. I am the working wienie. She makes the $$$.

We currently own a 1982 White Westfalia (plate: PASS US), and a 1985 Gold Jetta Turbo Diesel (plate: 43+ MPG), both of which we adore. My mechanical experience is part genetic, part experiential. My grandfather and a few uncles were tool designers, machinists, and engineers in Detroit. I think some of their "stuff" is in my blood.

My hands-on experience started when I was 18 and bought a very, very, very, very crappy Porsche 914. One week after purchasing it, I discovered that the previous owner's "oil" was mostly "Motor Honey". The compression with 20-50 motor oil was around 50#'s on all four cylinders; it wouldn't start once warmed up. I would have to figure out how to rebuild the motor. This same type of "surprise" was lurking in all the major systems of the car. Eventually I learned it all. Some times twice, like the motor. I got 30k on my first rebuild before I spun a bottom end bearing and got to refresh all the learning points associated with building the motor.

During an extremely "off-course" point in my life, I worked for a year as a motor builder in a VW/Porsche shop. I learned a lot there. I was often called upon to assist the certified mech's when they were doing brakes, body work, etc. Eventually, I figured I didn't want to spend my life working in a garage, and I put myself through East Carolina University, then went on to be a Communications Consultant in Wash. DC. I gradually weaned myself from working on the cars, and now rely almost exclusively on a good mechanic, and a keen eye/ear for when something is amiss. I just wash and polish now when I need to "connect" with a vehicle.

My life is constantly in change, and I believe I will have five to eight different careers before I am smart and old. Currently I am beginning to feel "off-course" again, and I am exploring going back into Broadcast News, or joining the Circus (Cirque du Soleil, possibly) as a Public Affairs rep. One of my most fun consulting positions was working with Ringling Bros. & Barnum and Bailey Corporate Communications department. That felt "on course".

As for personal traits: I may come off as egotistical and opinionated many times, but I am really quite harmless, and hopefully helpful. I think I know a lot about a lot of stuff, but the more knowledge I gain, the more ignorant I feel. So I seek more knowledge, and feel more ignorant. It is a viscous sickle (viscous cycle, for you ESL folks).

I am a patriot; I love our country, and all the freedoms that go along with it. I don't have much tolerance for prejudice or short-sightedness. I am not an ethical relativist. I believe in God, right, and wrong.

I enjoy the various personalities on the list, and think we are living in the best time in history, when people from all over the planet, with diverse interests and backgrounds, can unite (through the Net) and share a commonality. I pray that this type of discourse, and the sharing of commonalties across cultural and political boundaries shall mean the eventual end to wars and the needless waste of lives.

Drive safe and slow, and ask if you have any questions.

Cheers,

G. Matthew Bulley Principal Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Communications for Organizational Development www.bulley-hewlett.com (888) 468-4880 toll free