Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:25:14 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Plea for reducing the number of non-Vanagon content notes
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I subscribed to this Vanagon List exclusively to read messages about Vanagons or about topics that show the how Vanagons relate to other things. For instance, a note describing how a local ordinance is impacting a Westy Vanagon owner's right to park his/her vehicle in their driveway because a municipality classified it as a motorhome, would still seem to be on-topic to me. I suspect some other subscribers had similarly narrow expectations about note content when they subscribed.

But I've been thinking about unsubscribing. My reason is not because I don't receive notes about Vanagons and their context. I do. And I love reading many of them. But the time it takes me to stay current with this list is increased by lots of non Vanagon posts. I don't even want to name specific topics, partly because some people who write off-topic notes also write Vanagon notes that I enjoy. I don't want to offend anyone. But when you're tempted to just socialize by writing a note to the Vanagon list which isn't really about Vanagons, please reconsider. Please find another way to simply be social.

But if you can't resist, then perhaps List members could agree to uniformly include some compact standardized code at the beginning of their Subject line to alert other List subscribers if any note is "OFF TOPIC." Hum, OFF TOPIC is just 9 characters long, including the space. That's not very long. If it's all in capital letters, it calls attention to itself well. And the meaning of OFF TOPIC is intuitively obvious, unlike many acronyms, including OT. But OT would be a lot better than no warning at all. Would adopting something like that be too much to ask? In my case, I'd usually just delete all those notes without reading them, which wouldn't take long. Others would usually read them, but the OFF TOPIC alert would always allow each List subscriber to make an informed choice about how they were about to spend their time.

Does this suggestion resonate with you? If it does, this is not the time to be silent. If you don't want to add discussion to this suggestion, but do agree, please post to the Vanagon List a note saying "I agree" to this subject line WITHOUT REPRINTING THIS ENTIRE NOTE. Please state which would you prefer, OFF TOPIC or OT? Or if someone has a better suggestion, let's go with that. Those who disagree might explain why.

John