Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:19:29 -0600
From:         Rob Wright <wright@APS.ANL.GOV>
Subject:      Re: aux. heater questions
Comments: To: Iaonbb@aol.com, "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Well first your heater should be a eberspacher ba6,and your right about the altitude your heater is probably set up for sea level,the pump will have to be adjusted here is a paragraph which explains this,but use the Bentley book as a guide. Here's the part you've all been waiting for, adjusting the fuel/air mix (which is why I put it at the end of the article, naturally). The manual states that 18.4 to 21.7 cm. of fuel should be dispensed every 200 ticks of the fuel pump. I did this and the heater smoked liked a runaway freight train. Due to the nature of the beast, that being that these heaters are nothing more than big carburetors, they have to be setup for altitude. Since there's no timing adjustment you can only throttle back on the fuel to accommodate the lower oxygen density at higher altitudes. If you're in the mountains (I'm at 5,280') then you want to keep throttling back on the fuel pump until the heater stops smoking. Leave the heater at this setting for a week or so then check the tabs and propeller on the end of the combustion motor fan. If the tabs, etc. show signs of being burnt you need to richen the mixture a little so as to cool off the charge. If you get things too lean you'll fry the fan and the heater won't work very well if at all, so keep checking the state of the fan until you're happy that it's not getting toasted. I did not write this paragraph i found it at this very interesting link. http://www.type2.com/bartnik/ba6art.htm There is lots of good info here so check it out. As far as using the heater for camping it is probably possible but the current draw is pretty substantial so you would have to charge your batteries some how.As far co i would buy one of those co detectors and keep it in the van to be safe.As far as parts you have to go to VW or the junkyard.Well i hope this helps if you have anymore questions let me no.