Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 1998 15:16:02 -0800
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: condensation, knocking was: Uh oh!
Comments: To: Bulley-Hewlett & Associates <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>,
          vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Water in the exhaust is _not_ caused by condensation, rather it is the normal residue from burning gasoline. The condensation in the oil, as GMB says, is a real problem and his solution is the proper one. The small amount of water evaporated from the oil will be sucked into the engine through the PCV.

Each molecule of gasoline, when burned, produces 8 molecules of water. This is approximate, because gasoline is a complex mixture of hydrocarbons, so I am basing this on the "average" gasoline molecule being heptane, which is C7H16, if I recall ancient college chemistry: C7H16 + 11 O2 -> 7 CO2 + 8 H20

You can think of this as each litre of gasoline turns into 8 litres of water in your engine -- mostly as steam. When it is cold out, this steam condenses into water, which drips out your exhaust. When it's dry or warm you simply don't see it. (the picky ones among us can figure out, based on density, just how many litres of water is produced per litre of gasoline).

This steam combines with any sulphur in the gasoline to produce sulpheric acid. Mufflers live a very hard life.

Malcolm H.

Non-vanagon: I once was a steel fitter. Much of the steel that we put together needed to be heated before welding (so that it would not crack afterwards). We often used propane torches to heat small areas. I *never* convinced a welder that the "moisture" was not coming out of the steel. They had a conviction that steel somehow held moisture in "pores" and released it when heated by a torch, and that driving this moisture out was the actual goal of pre-heating the metal. Oh, well. I probably won't do any better with the list... the propane (C3H8?) turns into quite a bit of water when it burns -- the flame you see is glowing carbon/carbon dioxide and lots of water -- so it is essentially a hot stream of steam.