Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:51:28 -0300
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      emerg. repairs/solutions
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi All,

How about posting some 'bailing wire and string' fixes we've used to get us home when something craps out. I'm not talking urban legends here, but practical vanagon fixes that have worked long enough at least to qualify as a 'repair'

With my aging rusting motor I'm getting leery of spontaneous failures, so I carry odd's 'n sod's along with few parts under the bench.

steel water pipe fixes: length of 1" ID heater hose, tube of hi-temp silicone goop, 4 or more band clamps, sharp knife. so for I've used the hose cut open and gooped, in short length 2"-3" to cover rust outs. Last leak occurred when a rock hit that fat pipe on drivers side of engine. Find the drip/jet of water, let it cool/drop pressure, then goop up a bit of sliced open hose and use one or two clamps to hold on the patch.

rotting electrical connections: usual selection of crimp on terminals, mostly female spade lugs, but enough to splice in whatever is needed (plus a couple of coils of wire 6-10' each), small sharp knife to strip insulation, and pliers to crimp them one. Terminals with boots work best, nothing like having the fuel pump ground out due to salt slush on the bare connectors.

fuel hose: not really a patch, more like a legit. repair item. about 4' of high pressure hose and 4+ little clamps.

misc collection of duct tape, electrical tape, steel wire, coathangers (hey it's a Westy OK) length of 2" diam flex pipe for muffler/exhaust rigging, large band clamps, 2 alum. pie-plates/tomato paste tins (and metal snips) plus muffler cement for patching same.

Yup folks, Sandford and Son lives on. Bottom line on this is my stubborn refusal to put one more cent than absolutely neccessary into my wasserboxer engine. I also have some confidence in being able to get out of a problem when in the middle of nowhere.

any other fixes that have helped?

bye, Tim

whose spare parts include fuses, belts, a fuel pump, bulbs, extra jack and an inner tube. Not to mention a sample of most vanagon fluids (in containers please, not on a blue dress!)