Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:04:07 EST
From:         Sam Bateman <SBate82659@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon Wimpy Horn Solved
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Vanagoneers;

I have long lamented the wimpy horn with which my Vanagon left Germany. And there was only ONE. Not very fitting for a vehicle of this size or calibre. But what to do? I'm not really a fan of air horns except on Freightliners and boats and the brutish and highly effective Hella Rally horns are $75 a pair - not too good of a fit in Sammy's horn budget!

Finally a solution has been found.

While perusing the items for sale at a swap-meet at a recent British car show I came upon a pair of BIG (these puppies are 6 1/2 inches in diameter) Bosch horns on a table labeled 'anything $1'. My guess is that they came off of a Merc. truck since they have steel grilles over the diaphrams. Needless to say I was soon $2 poorer and the proud owner of this pair of hooters. A quick cleaning and repainting yielded two nice-looking and POWERFUL attention- getters that fit nicely in the existing recesses with enough showing below the bumper to intrigue the unsuspecting. I finally had a chance to try them out the other day when I encountered a deer standing alongside the road. A 1 second blast produced quite a show - the deer leapt vertically 2 feet, pivoted in mid-air, and vanished into the woods as if a pack of hounds was in chase! Quite contented was I with my $2 purchase.

I would like to know what these horns were originally installed on. They have a Bosch number of HO/FSA 12/9 and HO/FSA 12/10. If anyone has any info I would appreciate them dropping me a line.

Sam Bateman (acoustic sadist of the Highway) Fork Union, VA '87 Vanagon GL