Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:06:19 -0500
From:         Joseph J Liasse <jliasse@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Muffler brackets and things, 87 Syncro manual
Comments: To: DanielisOk@AOL.COM, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I had exactly the same situation. The dealer wanted $50 for the strap. Deciding I would rather crazy glue the thing before I paid that I made my own. You can pick up some thin strap iron at a Home Depot (or one of the other large hardware chains) of about the same width as your old strap. While there pick up a stove bolt of about the same diameter as the pin in the old strap (stove bolt is one with threads on only about half the shaft) Also pick up an extra long bolt of the same size as the one that screws into the "strap holder" (wrong name but you know what I mean). When you get home first make a fold in the iron about 3 inches or so from the end. When you get a good start in the fold lay the stove bolt in the fold and hammer the 3 inches of slack flat against the rest of the stock. You now have the piviot of the strap. For the other end measure the length of the origional strap; or if you cannot do that measure the needed length with the muffler in place. Add an extra inch or so to allow for the bend you are going to put in the strap for the bolt hole and cut off the excess. If you are going to make an error make sure you make it on the short side as a slightly too short strap can be made up for with the extra long bolt you bought when you picked up the other stuff. Hammer the extra inch or so to about a 90 degree angle to the stock and drill a hole in it to recieve the extra long bolt. All that done hammer the stock into a curve approximating the curve of the muffler cylinder. You now have a perfectly servicable strap that you have paid all of about $4 and a half hour or so of time. If you mess up on your first try don't sweat it as the strap iron you bought will still be plenty long enough for you to have one or two more tries.

-----Original Message----- From: Daniel Bey <DanielisOk@AOL.COM> To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM <vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, October 19, 1998 8:21 AM Subject: Muffler brackets and things, 87 Syncro manual