Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:30:08 -0800
From:         Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire Load Index - addendum
Comments: To: David-M <dmc@CYBURBAN.COM>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

>There is also some law that says that for a passenger tire on a truck, >you have to reduce the load rating by 10%. That definitely applies to >the Vanagon.

That's interesting...whose law is it, who does it apply to, and can you provide a cite?

As far as load index goes, a ServiceDescription includes the load index and the speed rating of a tire. Thus the Michelin MXT 205/70R14 99S is capable of carrying a maximum of 1709lbs at 112mph. (Service description == LI + SR == 99 + H => 99H) Reducing those values by 10% would yield 1538lbs at 101mph.

Considering that *I've* never driven my vanagon faster than 90mph loaded to GWVR, much less ~6000lbs...I think I have sufficient safety margin. My Mercury Villager's EagleGA 215/70R15 97H, can be derated 10% and still capable of carrying about 400lbs over the GVWR at 117mph, should I be crazy enough to try.

Hmmm...perusing the latest MotorTrend, I noticed that TireRack doesn't specify the ServiceDescription in their tire ads, choosing to only list tires by size/aspectratio X wheel diameter X speedrating. Wonder how many *different* tires from the same manufacturer fit that description?

OLTECO Ari Ollikainen P.O. BOX 3688 Networking Technology and Architecture Stanford, CA Ari@OLTECO.com 94309-3688 415.517.3519