Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Oct 1998 22:26:39 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      OFF TOPIC ~ "running out of new, .  .  .  .  exciting topics."
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Mark Gajewski wrote: "I'm wondering if a mail list trying to concern itself with the mechanical problems of a vehicle that was built with little change (for arguments sake) for 11 or so years and was last produced 8 or so years ago may just find itself running out of new, informative and exciting topics."

Not for me. For example, I know that in Europe, there have been some VW vans we in the US would call Vanagons which were lengthened, but I have yet to hear of the first in the US. I've seen other brand vans lengthened by joining a long rear donor section onto the longest possible front section of the original van. For me this technique seems to be an elegant solution to the need to preserve the lower Westy sleeping area if the floor over the motor is raised as is required if you install an Audi 5 cylinder 140 horse TDI diesel. I'd find that interesting, but we haven't discussed it much have we?.

And improving flat screen video display designs with progressively lower prices are just ahead which will allow Westy owners to combine the pleasures of TV with their computer's access to the I-net. Oh, you say I-net access from a mobil VW van would be prohibitively expensive? How about $50/month for all you can eat while you're completely mobile? Think I'm kidding? Go to: http://www.starshipcorp.com/com/starship_communications_home.html and if that doesn't trip your hammer, then go to the Winnov Videum page at http://www.winnov.com/ and learn just a little about CuSeeme full real-time audio/color video interactive conversations on the I-net.

Right now, for under $500, you could be riding down the highway with your computer powered by an inverter, showing friends all over the world what you're doing as you do it. I know the stumbling block. You need a traveling companion who can drive the van. But point your video camera out the front window so as you voice chat with your on-line friends they can see the road ahead of your van. That way they can "talk you home" to your weekend visit where they're waiting to meet you. That could be done this month. The flow costs seem affordable for those who live in one of the areas where Starship's two way $50 per month ISP service is already available.

I can only wonder how one of those (Louisiana I think, but I could be wrong) Highway Patrolmen who were featured on national TV as men who prey on out-of-state travelers would respond to this: A VW van with a TV camera and a screen showing people who are saying to him on the speaker, "Hello Officer, we see you very well sir. Smile, you're representing your state to the whole world."

The future is becoming the present by daily steps. This is a great time in man's history to be alive. Things are evolving rapidly. I don't think we've exhausted topics relevant to Westys and other VW vans. To a large degree, where your mind goes is elective. I choose an unexplored, fresh exciting future, not a stale rehash, at least when I have that choice.

John