Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:02:10 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: seam rust, how to prevent?
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

There is a special automotive finish available which I'm not calling paint because I'm not sure what it is. But auto painting professionals will know about this. coating. It seems to be slightly rubbery and seals wonderfully while protecting front lower valance panels on vehicles intended for use where road stones and brush are likely to impact this area. The applications I've seen had an obvious "orange peal" texture appearing surface rather than looking like smooth glossy paint. That characteristic doesn't sound wonderful, but the virtually perfect water seal it gives and it's flexible durability are attractive characteristics which could give just the protection you'd like.

How to apply it and and what aesthetic plan you'd find pleasing are open questions. But for protection, I think that would be excellent since it's flexible so it won't cause a crack line when the body flexes a few thousandths of an inch when you hit jarring road hazards in the coldest weather. I once filled welded body seams on a pickup truck cab where the factory elected to leave an externally visible seam. The next winter, those seams on each side cracked through to the surface. Amazing. I suspect that compared to the Vanagon seam, those welded pickup cab seams were much less mobil, so any material you use to bridge this seam MUST remain flexible if it is to endure. Anyway, that's my opinion.

How about a decorative stripe about 3/4 inch wide, centered on the vulnerable seam?

All the best to you,

John