Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Oct 1998 13:30:11 -0800
From:         Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire Load Index
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>Ari Ollikainen wrote: >> >> In response to my posting of a load index for values of 71-110, >> at 9:15 PM 10/26/98, David-M wrote: >> >> >There is also some law that says that for a passenger tire on a truck, >> >you have to reduce the load rating by 10%. That definitely applies to >> >the Vanagon. >> >> That's interesting...whose law is it, who does it apply to, and >> can you provide a cite? >> >Go here: > >http://www.roadmastertire.com/cooper/discover.htm > >It may not be a law, just an industry standard, but I am sure there is >good reasoning behind it.

Fascinating chart, especially the 35psi tire pressure for the Cooper Discover tires, is that MAX?

It's the industry (Tire and Rim Association) covering its behind (by 10%?...hardly seems worth it). Interestingly the 10% reduction is for the NorthAmerican P-Metric tire sizes used "in light truck services" and doesn't apply to the European metric (no P in front, as in 205/70 versus P205/70) sizes...not that it matters, since Cooper doesn't make the Discover in a metric.

Once more, it all depends on the definition of "light truck services".

Regardless, in my opinion, stinting on tires is pure foolishness.!

BTW, there actually <GASP!> is a CANADIAN law that specifies the derating for non-passenger car uses of passenger car tires somewhat obscurely (and results in a reduction of 9% due to the calculation method!):

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [http://www.tc.gc.ca/actsregs/mvsa/english/mvsr120.html]

Motor Vehicle Safety Act

Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations

Standard 120

Tire Selection and Rims for Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars

120. (1) Subject to subsection (5), the tires of every bus, chassis-cab, motorcycle, motor driven cycle, moped, multipurpose passenger vehicle, trailer, trailer converter dolly and truck shall meet the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Tire Safety Regulations.

(2) Every motor vehicle described in subsection (1) shall be equipped with rims that are listed by the manufacturer of the tires as being suitable for use with the tires of the motor vehicle in accordance with subsection 1(1) or 2(1) of Schedule V to the Motor Vehicle Tire Safety Regulations.

(3) The sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall

(a) be not less than the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) of the axle system as specified in the vehicle's statement of compliance label as required by section 6 of the Regulations;

(b) where the statement of compliance label shows more than one GAWR for the axle system, be not less than the GAWR corresponding to the size designation of the tires fitted to the axle; and

(c) where the size designation of the tires fitted to the axle does not appear on the statement of compliance label, be not less than the lowest GAWR appearing on the label.

OLTECO Ari Ollikainen P.O. BOX 3688 Networking Technology and Architecture Stanford, CA Ari@OLTECO.com 94309-3688 415.517.3519