Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Oct 1998 21:41:41 -0400
From:         Bulley-Hewlett & Associates <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      No emergencies anymore, (longish) was: emerg. repairs/solutions
Comments: To: Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>,
          "vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

How about posting some 'bailing wire and string' fixes we've used to get us home when something craps out. I'm not talking urban legends here, but practical vanagon fixes that have worked long enough at least to qualify as a 'repair' With my aging rusting motor I'm getting leery of spontaneous failures, so I carry odd's 'n sod's along with few parts under the bench.

Tim-

I know I'll get grief from some folks on this one... I thought I'd give you the straight scoop on what I bring in the van on long trips. Nothing. The beautiful and Talented Suzanne, and that's about it.

Now, I am not trying to brag. And I'm not pulling your leg. I truly bring nothing. A quart of oil, a pair of pliers, a screwdriver, and a AAA card, that's it. We just got back from a 600+ mile trip up to Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mountain, all over off road near the Blue Ridge Parkway, Mt. Mitchell (highest point in US Eastern US), and Asheville. I brought my pliers, and my screwdriver, but didn't need either of them.

I'm spelling out a different philosophy here. "Preventive maintenance".

I used to subscribe to the school of "reactionary maintenance", whereby I hauled around the complete inventory of Snap-On tools, and a small parts shop in preparation for my next maintenance interval. The vehicle would signaled this interval by creating an odd noise, producing copious amounts of smoke behind or inside the vehicle, suffering extreme loss of fluid, or yielding failure of a critical system when called upon.

As I travel North Carolina, I can point out various landmarks where I once broke down in a variety of VW's and Porsches during my "reactionary maintenance" phase; the road in Wilson where a worn out ball joint finally failed, and I hit the curb at 30 mph, the parking lot at St. Mary's College in Raleigh where my rubber fuel injection line burst (thank God, no fire), the expressway near Burlington where my inner CV joint broke the last bolt holding it to the drive flange (at 70 mph), the highway east of Farmville where I spun a bottom end bearing at 2:00 a.m. in December, costing me a motor rebuild, and a long, cold walk.

No offense; reactionary maintenance stinks. The constant "What-If? Butt-Pucker". Constantly asking your travelling companions "Did you hear something?" or "Does that smell like coolant to you?" Foggetaboutit!

We don't go anywhere now unless the van (or Jetta) checks out to be A-prime, ready to go. When we take the car in for service, we never look for the cheapest way out, we look for what else might need doing while they've got it ripped apart.

Case in point: on my Jetta TD, the top radiator hose needs replacing. Costs $79 for a new top hose. But the deal is, ALL of the hoses are the same age, as is the water pump, (and the thermostat is a few years old). I will have ALL of them replaced simultaneously, along with having the block, radiator and heater core flushed, the expansion tank replaced, and the coolant changed. Total cost, about $360. But I won't have to worry much about that system for years. That's a great feeling.

Because of this radiator hose deficiency, the Jetta is "not available" for trips. In my mind, it bears to much likelihood of failure, so it stays here in town. If something of equal importance were wrong with the Westy, it too would be off the road until it was repaired.

Now don't get me wrong. We are not rich (except in spirit). Sometimes it is a protracted, grim struggle to earn the $$$ to keep up our vehicles this way. The peace of mind, however, is without price. At a moment's notice, we can take the Westy on a grueling, mountainous, gravel road expedition without concern about breakdowns. The Jetta is usually the same, and will be again shortly.

While I know multiple anecdotes for the roadside mechanic, I would rather recommend that you save a few dollars in the long run, and PREVENT automotive failure, rather than suffer at the hands of it.

Best of Luck,

G. Matthew Bulley Principal Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Communications for Organizational Development www.bulley-hewlett.com (888) 468-4880 toll free