Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:51:30 -0500
From:         moon <moon@BINTERACTIVE.COM>
Subject:      newbie syncro info the sequel(who knows syncros)
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

hello,

firstly we would like to apologize for posting what is almost the same message twice. it took a little while to figure out what questions to ask. what we're trying to find are answers to questions about the fine points of the syncro part of the vanagon. there is a noise(low hum), or vibration that starts at about fifty miles an hour and is not very loud or distracting (sounds more like the start of a problem than the end of a part).

the problem that we are having is that most shops won't look at it, and the ones that will don't understand the syncro or how it works. we were recommended a mechanic by another vanagon owner(local). it is a two man shop, the proprietor/head mechanic drives a mint vangon carat, the mechanic working for him also drives a vanagon, and the proprietor/head mechanic's son drives a '91 vanagon syncro. from the background he described (plus there were four or five vanagons on the lot when we arrived) we thought for sure that we had found a good person to work on our van. however, when the proprietor was test driving it, he pointed to the dif-lock knob and said "have you ever engaged the four wheel drive?" which belies a major lack of understanding of the basics of the system, which makes us question his diagnoses. he seems to be a vanagon expert in all other regards, and we feel confident to have him do the straightforward vanagon work, oxygen sensor, et al... the tough part is the following.

is there anyone we can write to or call who could answer the questions; in what way(ways) can the viscous coupling "go bad"? (fluid locks up early/never locks? plates get damaged?) what other parts of the drivetrain would suffer as a result of this? what would the symptoms of damage caused by overly worn and subsequently mis-matched tires(yikes!) be? is there such a thing as a replacement viscous coupling, what is the availability, and are they $4000? would a botched u-joint replacement on a driveshaft put it out of balance, and how would one go about repairing/replacing it? what other parts of the drivetrain would suffer as a result of this?

phew!

there are a couple of other minor troubles, rough idle, roller mechanism on door, etc. but these can be fixed by us or the van mechanic.

many thanks to all! thanks for the replies, they are always informative,and valuable! moon and brenda

86 gl syncro

[text/html]