Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:16:08 -0800
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Perishing rubber on window channels
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi all,

On the driver's and passenger's side windows of the T3 there is a rubber/felt channel that the window winds up into. It starts at the top of the quarter vent window,runs along the top & rear side of the window opening and stops down near the lock/unlock button.

Two years ago the driver's door rubber perished on the outside edge and was replaced (at not inconsiderable cost) as I couldn't stand the rubber flapping about and catching in the window when the window was wound back up. Recently the passenger's side one did exactly the same thing and also needed replacing (at slightly less not inconsiderable cost as the price had come down from $130Aus to $102Aus!-dealer only parts naturally!)

Now the replacement one on the driver's side has perished & broken again after only about two years service.This is p***ing me off!

The van is only 6 years old,always garaged,polished and all the rubbers are treated at least annually,so the harsh sun in this part of the world can't be entirely to blame.

I know this problem is small-fries compared to some of the problems we often face but I still find it annoying that these parts have readily deteriorated,seemingly due to poor quality in the first place.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with these window channels perishing before their time or is it just me? I know I could probably glue it up with rubber cement but that's not the point.

Any input or suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Steve O. Blue Mountains NSW Aus.

'92 Transporter WBX '76 Crew Cab (still with original window channels!) '68 Beetle Deluxe ( ditto!)