Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Oct 1998 03:46:00 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 85 Westy GL- Winterizing tips?/Newbie Tips
Comments: To: Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

-------------------------- Hi Budd, I am no more technically adept than any one else, more like inept, but I have some personal experience with a fram ph8a on a 78 2L air cooled. Last winter one stretched all out of shape. I noticed it leaking a bit of oil around the filter and upon closer inspection found it was stretched about 0.25 inch longer, enough to let the filter element hang loose inside and not be functional as a filter any longer. I normally rely on personal experience and had never experienced problems with any filters and assumed fram was as good as any and better than most so I was slow to grasp what people on the list were saying and ignored the warnings. The oil pressure in the 78 is on the high side around 80 psi when cold in winter and I had kept the 15-50 oil in it. However I never rev a cold engine. The 78 also has a heavy duty oil pump which pumps more oil. I have since noticed filters from the fatherland are generally constructed with heavier thicker metal, I don't know about more paper element as you mention. Not easy for me but I made the switch. Darrell Boehler -----Original Message----- From: Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET> To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM <vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Friday, October 23, 1998 12:58 AM Subject: Re: 85 Westy GL- Winterizing tips?/Newbie Tips