Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Oct 1998 08:24:14 -0400
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      Re: I'm confused/frustrated
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Well,

I just got 5 Michelin MXT's from my FLATS. As the FAQ says, most dealers cannot find them in their computer or catalogs, but if you tell them that it is Michelin part # 73568, they miraculously appear in the computer. The ones I received were "special order" and took a week to show up. They were very dusty, as if they were laying around in a warehouse for a long time. It was fun watching the employees and manager standing around gawking at the tire mounting machine because of the incredible amount of pressure required to set the beads. (The alignment guy drives an 85 Golf Diesel! Smart man!) Anyway, these tires are incredible quiet and smooth. They feel strong on the exit ramps, and you aren't afraid that they will explode when you hit a pothole. I haven't had the opportunity to try them in wet weather, and we almost never get any significant amount of that white precipitation down here. I am not a tire expert, just another happy customer with a bleeding credit card. If it wasn't for this list, I would never have heard of "load range C," and there is no telling what I would have ended up with.

Michael Townsend townsend@rtp.ericsson.se

btw, my FLATS (Ingold Tire, Durham NC) said that someone else called asking for this type of tire, after mine were received before I went to get them mounted. The other customer offered to buy them if I did not show up. I am curious if this other customer is on this list -- it wouldn't surprise me. The tire vendor was extremely surprised to hear two requests in the same week for these tires.

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Fritz <jfritz@DECORAH.K12.IA.US> To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM <vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, October 22, 1998 8:32 PM Subject: I'm confused/frustrated

Volks, Well, this tire issue is bringin' me down (can't you hear the steel guitar in the background?!?)