Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:53:06 -0500
From:         Bill Knight <bill@NS.ESC.STATE.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: oil pressure: where?
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

The '84 model only has a single oil pressure switch, located on the left side of the crankcase situated between the pushrod tubes for the cylinder 3 & 4 intake pushrods. You must remove the pushrod shield before you can access the area. I recommend the VDO dual pressure switch which provides a signal for the electric pressure gauge as well as the switch for the idiot light. It is, however, too big to fit between the pushrod tubes, so it is necessary to buy or make an extension hose to mount the switch in a remote location.

The dual pressure switch system didn't come in until the 2.1 liter engine, in '86, I believe.

BTW, I found that VDO makes a nice oil temp sender which fits perfectly in that second oil pressure location. It is the 300 degree sender in the 16mm X 1.5mm size. It fit perfectly, and is short enough not to interfere with oil flow. Since I'm retrofitting an '84 model with the 2.1 engine, I don't need that pressure switch, so found that it is a useful place for the temp sender. Now here is the tip... You can convert a => '86 model back to a single pressure switch system by grounding the second switch wire. Then just replace the original switch with the new temp sender. Note that the original switch is a 10mm but is actually in a sleeve reducer that is the 16mm OD size. You'll need to remove both the old sender and the adapter sleeve before fitting the temp sender in its place. And, if you ground the old pressure switch wire up at the dash cluster, (I think it is pin 12), then you can use the existing wire to connect to your temp gauge, without having to run a new wire!

Bill Knight Raleigh, NC