Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Oct 1998 07:09:40 EST
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Any pilot bearing tricks?? (Mr. Wizard's trick)
Comments: To: SyncroHead@aol.com, vanagon@vanagon.com

OK here is a pilot bearing removal trick I have heard about but have never tried. You take some cheap wheel bearing grease and pack it into the hole so that the grease comes even with the bottom lip of the bearing. Now stuff some crumpled up newspaper in the hole so that it completely fills the hole. Now get a piece of a wooden broom handle that will just fit inside of the hole (you want to make it as tight a fit as possible so that grease won't leak out between the handle and the bearing when you do the next step). Next you get a hammer and pound the wooden handle down into the hole. The hydraulic action should pop the bearing right out. Becareful! The bearing could possible pop out and harm you so wear eye protection and hand protection. I have never tried this but my friend has done it several times to remove bearings and says it works great. Big disclaimer on this one says that if you do this and hurt yourself it is not my fault (kiddies don't try this at home). If anyone does try it please let me know how it turns out for you. Thanks Ken Wilford Van-Again John 3:16