Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Oct 1998 09:47:20 -0500
From:         "ErikO@ebyte.com" <ErikO@EBYTE.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon Security Challange... Was RE: How to break into....
Comments: To: Bulley-Hewlett & Associates <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>,
          "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Bulley-Hewlett & Associates wrote:

> Beware would be Westy theives- > It is a clear shot from our balcony to the parking area, and to the > driveway below. Less than 200 meters. I can hit a moving man-sized target > at 500 meters nine out of ten times, so go steal someone's lousy Explorer > or Trooper. :)

Amen here. I haven't shot anyone in a long time... stealing my van would be the worst thing a thief could do:)

Something else to consider is how many of our vans out there have had the ignition cylinder removed or replaced? Then all you need is a pocketknife, a nail, and a 5/8's inch socket to drive away with our vans.

You could consider me an expert at breaking into vehicles with a long thin metal object (read SLIM-JIM). How did I aquire this evil skill.... well honestly my mother trained me on how to do it. Really! My mom worked as the only female security officer at a large hospital in the area and when I was in high school I worked there in Valet parking. We had to open up cars all the time. Does anyone know how easy it would be to open a vanagon with a slim jim? I've never tried it before, but I'm betting from what I know about the inside of the doors I could be inside in a couple seconds. So this whole thred on sliding windows is probably irrelevant. I have a good story about my mom at the end of this message, read on.

It's probably for our benefit to have these techniques out in the open now, so we can develop methods of securing our vans from would-be-thieves. Thevies don't typically need the internet to learn secrets of their trade. As a list, I think we can figure out how to protect ourselves. This is the challenge... What can we do to remove these "flaws" in our vans security?

Summit racing, a big mail order place located here in town, specializing in american muscle crap used to have an alarm system that came with a pager that would notify you secretly if someone was messing with your vehicle. I prefer those type of alarms so the thief can be warned away by large caliper ammunition embedded in they're limbs.

Here's the story about my mom.... The best vehicle break-in my mom was noted for involved a running car with a very small child inside. No one could open this car, it had broken power locks or something... I don't quite remember. They had two towing companies, city police and I think a state trooper there trying to get in the vehicle. They worked on this for an hour or so. The window was opened a crack and my mom grabbed two brooms. She took out her keys and hung them on the end of one broom and stuck the other broom end in the window. "Billy, I'm going fishing. Do you want to go fishing too?" Sure enough, the uncooperative little brat reached over, grabbed the keys, and put them over the end of the broom. Hundreds of spectators burst in to laughter and applause. She became infamous for that event :)

Peace!

Now lets all go out and move the neighbors vanagon over to OUR driveway :)

-- _________________________ Erik O Akron, Oh '82 GTI Powered Westfalia

West.of.Wolfsburg http://ebyte.com/wow

Greatlakes.Camping.Info http://ebyte.com/gl _________________________ Ebyte Communications http://ebyte.com