Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Oct 1998 07:53:55 -0500
From:         Robert Rountree <rountree@PLANETEER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Part *still* needed!
Comments: To: Vanagon Mailing Lis <Vanagon@vanagon.com>

>>>I just can't beleive that with a mailing list of 731 with 775 vehicles >>>that someone can't lay their hands on an exterior fresh water cover and >>>the spring.......>>I can, mine only has two doors and they are expensive to replace

Ok...here is an alternative.... (sidebar) one of the fastest ways to tell a U.S. from a CDN Vanagon camper...is the inlet-doors on the side...the CDN electric door is down near the bottom....not 3 in a row... with an electric cord big enough to run a circus)....this door was ripped off on my Westy...So I went out to the shop...picked a nice piece of solid wood scrap out of the cutoff bin (that was near the right thickness and all ready planed) cut it into the exact shape as inside the door hole... painted it black, 3 coats (to match the plastic) then drilled a small pilot hole in the center...put a LONG 3.5" S.S. screw thru that hole.... on the other end of the screw... I attached an expanding toggle the size of the inside tube(plastic so it won't rust) like you use in drywall to hang pictures.... now all I have to do when I want to get at my electric cord (which now is a 3 prong 100' #14 extention cord, that weights less than the government enforced 15' monster, which I trimmed to 2') all I need is my robertson screw driver (square head for you Yanks) and a few turns on the screw cause the toggle to collapse, allowing the cover to be removed...Look Ma No Key (well ok a screw driver I always have).....I for one would really WANT my water inlet covered ASAP.... Hope this stuff helps someone... Rob 87 Westy SyncroGL.....Cynosure (slip&drip)

rountree@planeteer.com