Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Oct 1998 07:16:07 GMT
From:         Malcolm White <malcolm@WHITE.IE>
Subject:      Vanagon newbie
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

This is my first posting to the list. I'm looking for the answers to a few questions. I've had a trawl through the archives and several other Web pages but I'm still stuck on a few points.

I've just bought a 1988 Syncro 'Microbus' (?) 7 seater with windows. It has the 1.9 petrol (carb) engine and has been converted to run on LPG as well as petrol. (It has a 120 litre propane tank under the rear seats).

I'm going to have it converted to a full hi-top or elevating camper and would also like to fit some new wheels and probably a different engine at some time in the near future. As I understand it, the Vanagon wheels have a 5 stud 112mm PCD fitting but the hubs are different from the similar Audi fitting requiring machining (if Audi wheels are chosen). What is the standard offset for these wheels assuming that I move up to a 16" rim? Do the factory 16" Vanagons have a different final drive ratio as I assume that the rolling circumference of these wheels is larger than the standard Vanagon? (Different speedo calibration?)

Lastly, what is the panels view on replacement engines for the Vanagon? I've seen the KEP Subaru offering (I know of a nice 220bhp Subaru Turbo 4 pot for sale :-)) and I understand that others have fitted other VW and Audi watercooled engines. Is there a FAQ for this somewhere?

Oops, I knew that there was one more thing! Where do other camper users keep their spare wheel as it'll have to come out of the van somewhere?

Thanks, Malcolm -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Malcolm White Templeogue, Dublin 6W, Eire Tel: (353) 87 2432200 malcolm@white.ie / rides@balloons.ie http://www.ftech.net/~balloons -----------------------------------------------------------------------