Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:37:04 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Security Challange... Was RE: How to break into....
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

"ErikO@ebyte.com" <ErikO@EBYTE.COM> wrote: "Then we need to lobby Darrel Broehler to design a simple little timed circuit that would allow the van to run for 10 seconds or so if this switch wasn't pressed. This way the thief drives

away only to have the van stall out on him with a puff of smoke. He'll

think the van's a piece of crap and leave it."

I like this basic concept. But I think it would make thieves suspicious. Better yet, unless the secondary switch is activated, the van's motor should run so "raggy" and barely stay alive that it seems wildly out of tune or near death. Then, if any power is applied to the transmission, another switch would be activated only which would just make the motor give up and die. Repeats would convince even the most skeptical auto thief that this one wasn't worth trying to drive away. I can't help thinking that some el-cheapo camera lens hiding in the dash that only is activated when this circuit executes a motor kill would add a final touch. That would allow police officers to have a photo of a person with no excuse for their presence in that circumstance.

Saturday pipe dreams John