Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Oct 1998 10:58:15 EST
From:         Carl Turner <CarlMarin@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: paint on grill
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Yo Doug,

A couple of other good options for repainting the grill are SEM brand Trim Black. Perfect 'not quite flat, not quite glossy' look for auto trim. Available at places that sell automotive paint. An alternative would be Krylon #1613 Semi-Flat Black. This stuff also has a good "look" to it for trim. (Like those fading door handles!) For the silver strip around the edge of the grill you can mask off and spray it with Krylon #1403 Dull Aluminum or find a can of silver wheel paint down at the Pep boys. Either of these will give you the right look. Look for the fine line masking tape at the automotive paint store while you are looking for the SEM. As the person mentions below, for a durable job be sure and prep the part before painting, wash with a detergent or Formula 409 type stuff ( a 1 inch paint brush make a good scrubbing tool to get into the corners good) then wipe down with some solvent like lacquer thinner or naptha (Ronson's lighter fluid). This is the tedious part to get all the nooks and crannies but its worthwile to do it right.(Q- Tips are the tool of choice for this step) Of course after you do all this the by contrast rest of your Vanagon will look like crap and you will have to repaint it too. Sorry.

Carl Turner