Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Oct 1998 12:19:46 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Your Comments, complaints, etc. (O.T.S.)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I just read the comments, both postive and negative, posted to the list about The Bus Depot in my absence. As you know, I'm usually very quick to respond "on the record" to all comments, but in this case I wasn't here. If you couldn't care less about The Bus Depot, I won't take any offense if you hit the "delete" key now. :-)

As a whole, the new online database website, with secure ordering, is now fully functional, and has been for most of the month. Everything is running pretty well at this point, but there were some difficult periods while I was in Europe. What really took me by surprise (and might have affected my trip plans, had I anticipated it) was the expected drop in phone call volume coinciding with the new website ordering system, never happened. Instead, call volume stayed incredibly high, plus a ton of people ordered via the new web site, so instead of being less swamped, Jerry and the crew were more swamped. For the most part, they handled things well, as near as I can tell, but there were two problems.

First, we had to switch website service providers mid-month when we converted our website database to a more advanced (SQL Server/Cold Fusion) format, which our previous provider doesn't support. In the transfer to the new server (now long since completed), some website orders were misdirected by our web host, and reached us late. This was not supposed to happen, and I do apologize to anyone whose order was delayed as a result. I think most of those problems were solved while I was gone. If yours wasn't, please give me Monday to get my sh*t together, and then let me know on Tuesday and I'll make sure you are satisfied ASAP. (I am aware of a backorder on a couple of Wasserboxer exhaust pipes, which is a supply problem and will not be solved by Tuesday.) Also, two of our incoming lines went down for a while due to a phone company line problem that took several days to fix, so for a while there were only two lines coming in. This, too, was remedied long before I arrived home.

Your comments are never ignored and always appreciated. In response to your comments, I will be adding more phone lines next week, and also more people to answer them as soon as humanly possible. We will also be adding another 7000 or so parts to the already 10,000-plus that are on the website, and improving the applications listings on the parts that are already there. Also, while I was gone, we switched to a new computer software program which will allow us to enter more orders at once, thereby reducing your time on the phone. Still, your best bet is to check pricing and order via the website rather than calling, since it is fast and free. Jerry will be devoting full time to processing these orders quickly, and all server changes etc. are now completed so there will be no delays. Responses to price quote requests, etc., however, may be a bit slow for another week or so.

Between the new website, new software, additional phone lines, new employees, etc., I am doing everything I can to respond to your needs. Sometimes temporary inconviences occur when these new systems are installed, but in the long run they are good for everyone. The new website database is a perfect example of that, and it's only in it's first version. If it ever seems that I am less than 100 percent responsive to your needs, please understand that it's never from lack of caring about my customers. We all are really doing our best to service the Vanagon community in the way that we'd like to be treated ourselves as Vanagon owners (and we all are Vanagon owners). While we're not perfect, I think we try harder than just about anyone else servicing the Vanagon community, and at much better prices to boot. As fast as we're growing, we're still pretty new at this. As we keep doing it, we'll keep improving. Please consider it from this perspective, and do continue to offer your suggestions and feedback. Comments can be directed to sales@busdepot.com if you'd prefer to keep them off-list.

Thanks, Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com