Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Oct 1998 15:53:41 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mud Flaps Group Purchase
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

> The response so far this Sunday morning has been high. I believe > that if ONE of the recommended vendors would do a group purchase would be > better than a non-business individual could do. > > Is Kyle, Jim, or Ron interested???

Actually this is already in the works. It is one of the things I was working on while in Europe.

I spoke to Just Kampers about the mudflaps when we met three weeks ago (see separate posting on The Bus Depot/Just Kampers, to be posted later today I hope). Just Kampers has had some difficulty obtaining these mud flaps, and has very few if any to sell at the moment. Their shipment, which was supposed to take a few weeks, instead took months, and most of what they had ordered were already spoken for by anxious Brits eagerly awaiting the end of the backorder.

However, there is very good news. The mud flaps are actually South African made. Just Kampers needs to order more, and we also want them here in the States. So The Bus Depot and Just Kampers are going to combine to place a single order, with part of the order shipping to England and the other part shipping directly from South Africa to Pennsylvania. This will reduce the shipping cost tremendously, versus the mudflaps making the trip from Africa to the US by way of England. The delivered price should be much better as a result.

I was working on this when in Europe, completely unaware that at the same time you Vanagon folks were talking about the very same mudflaps. So the wheels are already turning. I should be receiving a call within a week with a delivered quote from South Africa. Bear in mind, though, that Just Kampers' experience with delivery time was quite disappointing last time, so although they seem to believe that the situation is improved, I remain reluctant to predict optimistic delivery times.

These are the same mudflaps sold in the U.S. for about $90 each, except that two of them (the rears I think) have a VW logo on them. They mount exactly the same as the ones we see here. Most Vanagon Westfalias sold in the U.S. came with one mudflap stock (in front of the propane tank), although a full set was optional. We can get front and rear pairs separately, so you can install either two or four.

As soon as I have definitive pricing I'll let you know.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com