Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Oct 1998 16:07:58 -0700
From:         BILL <billv2@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      A-German Auto experience
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM, type2@type2.com

If anyone is thinking about obtaining used parts from A-German Auto in San Jose, California, let me explain something that happened to me.

I recently purchased a California model FI engine harness from them for my 82 Westy. I was told (guaranteed) that they had what I was looking for--a California model FI engine harness in good shape that they took off an 81 California model Vanagon that was still running when it came in. When I received this harness, I did an ohm (resistance) test to check out all the connections. In doing this, I found two bad connections (one was intermittent). Because they did not have another one (so they tell me. when I had originally called they said they had TWO) and because these are hard to find used, I decided to go ahead and repair it. Well, after I had replaced the connectors and cleaned every other connector on the harness, it was off to the Westy to put it in.

Guess what...? I put the harness over the route it was going to take and looked at my OXY sensor wire coming out the tin with nowhere to plug into THIS wiring harness!. I looked over at the relays on the firewall and discovered that I HAVE THE WRONG HARNESS. After being guaranteed from them that I have the right one they stuck me with a FEDERAL harness.

OK, so mistakes can happen. I called them up and explained to them that they sent me the wrong harness! They were very non-shalant about it and asked when I purchased it. It has been over thirty days. They did not want to hear anymore and hung up.

Lessons learned: (1) I was in a hurry to obtain that harness and should have waited for Jim from the Old Folks Home to find one for me (he was out of town at the time). Anytime that I am NOT satisfied with my purchase from Jim or Ron (BD)--they MAKE it right. That plus, Jim makes sure that the used part that he is selling WORKS!!

(2) This experience has been very educational in-that, I can rebuild these wiring harness' -- at least those that are not TOAST! My original is toast.

(3) When buying used parts from a junk yard and you live out of State---DON'T!!! If you have to get it that way, ask a listmember if he/she could check it out for you.

(5) I, yes I, should have checked it myself when I first got it and NOT assumed that they were telling me the truth!!!!!!

End lesson learned Vanagon part 37....

Anyone looking for an 81-83 (air-cooled) FEDERAL FI engine wiring harness??? $125 which is less than my cost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Bill '85 GL [*Magic*Bus*] '82 Westy [FreeBird] ...cause I'm as free as a bird now... Big Sky Country ---Ronnie Van Zant <>< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~