Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Oct 1998 20:35:42 -0500
From:         Ed Stevens <ejstevens@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Odd awning placement
Comments: To: Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.COM>,
          Vanagon List <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

On 10/31/98 12:38 PM, Ari Ollikainen eloquently inscribed

> Yesterday I passed a ~88 camper on the freeway with an awning > on the driver's (left hand) side! Why would someone put an > awning on the side opposite the sliding door? > > > When I bought Dire Wolf, my 84 Wolfburg GL Westie it had a Catalina 2500 awning on the passenger side. Later, after finding an original VW drive away tent, I began to think about moving the awning to the drivers side for shade on the port side. the tent would be on the passenger side, which is really the only side it can be on. But the awning would provide shade on either side. I do not think the awning above the propane vent would be any issue whatsoever.

I have not made that move because (1) the awning is on real tight and the lower support brackets are screwed into the bus, (2) my awning also has bug netting that extends from the awning roof to the ground and (3) another portion of the netting fits under the passenger rear wheel well and under the sliding door. So the awning really cries out for the sliding door side of the camper.

If my PO had not installed such a great awning and anti-bug sysytem, I might have moved the awning to the drivers side. As it is, I erect the tent away from the vanagon.

-peace Ed Stevens Valley Forge PA