Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:08:02 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fridge ?
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I recall reading a description of what seemed a wonderful improvement to the Westy Dometic refrigerator's performance. It suggested installing a tiny electric powered fan to blow air through the cold internal heat exchanger. While it's been a long time since reading that, it seems they were suggesting use of a 1.5 volt continuously powered fan. They said this was justified because the energy draw was trivial. At least a trivial energy draw won't add much heat load to the fridge.

I'd like to use the excellent suggestion of forcing air over the internal heat exchanger. But even if the energy draw is trivial, life expectancy of such low cost motors probably isn't suitable for any continuous duty or long term use installation. Besides, I'd rather use my 12 volt house current.

Does anyone know of any suitable small super low current draw 12 volt DC fans? If so, please post contact information, current draw, price, etc. Also, what would be a nice way to power this ONLY when the main burner heat is driving the refrigeration cycle? That feels like the right approach to me. Doesn't this appeal to the inventive spirit of you creative guys like Dave B.? No used three pound boiler controllers please. Keep saying this: Simple, compact, reliable, cheap, elegant. Say it, and designs will come.

On a completely different refrigerator design consideration, I don't like the fact that in even tepid weather, my refrigerator's external heat exchanger fan keeps cycling on and off. It's distracting, irritating and calls attention to itself when I prefer to sleep. I always wonder if it might drain the battery enough to cause a starting problem if it were left on for a few days without starting the motor to recharge. Remember, old battery marginal performance failures always occur at their margins, by definition.

Wouldn't it be good to find (or make from two sizes) some double walled insulated ducting to better retain flue gas heat? This would induce more flow through the chimney so the fan wouldn't come on so often. I even considered trying to move the exhaust location up near the top of the van. I think it might be possible to snake a duct between the kitchen windows inside the wall.

Static chimney effect pressure is affected by average internal/external gas density difference per foot times the number of feet. So the hotter you can keep it before it exits at the top, the better it flows. Also the taller it is, the more static pressure it can develop. But flow is a dynamic state effect that's also affected by resistance. The smaller the chimney's cross sectional area and the longer it is, the higher the resistance is. So we have a balancing of effects. The designers' thinking shown in other RV absorption cycle installations I've seen usually caused them to create chimney runs as tall as possible, unlike the Westy design. I think the Westy's short vertical chimney length was a design error. A fully adequate full height chimney might require a small vertical interior intrusion rising between the kitchen windows. But to me, having a well functioning refrigerator that rarely needs additional air flow induced by an external fan would make that trade-off preferable.

My overheated mind begins to create a Rube Goldburg cartoon-like modification wherein this former liability is turned into an asset. Picture a Westy parked in warm arid environment. An 8 foot chimney extension is attached to the roof. Inside, the refrigerator is dialed to it's coldest setting. This is causing air to flow through a small hidden swamp cooler cast into normally wasted space. A little electric fan silently blows air from the swamp cooler to the lower sleeping area or the back seat, depending on how the duct's outlet louver is directed.

I prefer this kind of distraction to spelling humor, sandwich spreads, etc. John