Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Oct 1998 15:49:26 -0500
From:         Bulley-Hewlett & Associates <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Electrical Connections/ Silicone Sprays/ Pipe cleaners
Comments: To: "CarlMarin@AOL.COM" <CarlMarin@AOL.COM>,
          "vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Carl Turner Wrote: <<<SNIP>>> found pipe cleaners that have wire bristles in with the cotton fluffy part which gives a little better brushing action as I polish out the inside of the connector. <<<SNIP>>> removes all sorts of black stuff from inside the connector. <<<SNIP>>> for the male side of connectors I usually just use a stainless steel brush or a little piece of Scotch-brite to polish them out a bit. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Carl- The ten commandment forbid me from coveting your wife, or coveting your goods. But they don't condemn me for wanting to have enough leisure time (like you), that I can clean and polish (with pipe cleaner) the spade connections on my Van. I'm not sure I would spend my time DOING that, but just having the time would be great!

Cheers, G. Matthew Bulley Principal Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Communications for Organizational Development www.bulley-hewlett.com (888) 468-4880 toll free

-----Original Message----- From: Carl Turner [SMTP:CarlMarin@AOL.COM] Sent: Thursday, October 29, 1998 12:54 PM To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Electrical Connections/ Silicone Sprays/ Pipe cleaners

In a message dated 10/29/98 12:49:36 AM Mountain Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

> Subject: electrical connections > > Is it a good/bad idea to apply dielectric (non-conductive) grease on all > your engine wiring harness connections to help prohibit corrosion and make > for increased ease of on/off? > > TIA > > Bill

Probably not a bad idea Bill. I use the dielectric grease on my ignition wires, smearing a thin film inside each of the boots before I press them on. Provides a little moisture resistance I figure. What I use on other wires and connectors is I give them a shot of silicone spray and wipe down leaving them looking OEM fresh and a little easier to pull on and off in the future. I use the silicone spray on just about everything plastic or rubber including hoses to ward off the ravages of time. Look for a silicone spray that doesn't smell like WD-40 though. I figure this stuff isn't as good for plastics as the stuff the evaporates away cleanly with little smell. I use this same silicone spray on all the exterior rubber and plastic trim, keeps it looking good and doesn't attract as must dirt as products like Armor-All. Different brands of silicone spray have different amounts of silicone in them. Just spray a bit on your fingers in the store and see if it feels nice and slippery. I think I checked some Pyroil brand recently and it didn't seem to have any silicone in it at all after the liquid evaporated! Beware. I'm using Prestone brand now, seems like okay stuff. CRC had a really good silicone spray but I can't find it locally anymore. Gunk-SolderSeal brand is an example of the WD40 smelling stuff I avoid.

On the electrical connections I found another trick that works well for cleaning up the female side of cruddy spade connections. I found pipe cleaners that have wire bristles in with the cotton fluffy part which gives a little better brushing action as I polish out the inside of the connector. I use CRC "Lectro-Motive" electrical component cleaner on the bristle pipe cleaners and it removes all sorts of black stuff from inside the connector. I think using a garden variety Brake-Kleen type no residue spray solvent would work just as well. BTW, for the male side of connectors I usually just use a stainless steel brush or a little piece of Scotch-brite to polish them out a bit.

Good luck!

Carl Turner 84 and 85 Westfilthias