Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:18:29 -0500
From:         Tom Cook <Tom_Cook@ERM.COM>
Subject:      Repaint Different Color?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi again-

Has anyone re-painted their westy a color other than the original? What are the pros and cons? We have a 1982 diesel westy that I would call light tan/yellow... I looked on the list archive files for the actual color name but the list did not have paint codes for Vanagons from 1980 to 1985?

We would like to get it painted dark green (is this the VW Sage Green) but we most likely will not get the inside metal painted... just a quick Maaco exterior paint job and some moderate rust repair as well (under the land line outlets, front bumper clip, rear hatch corner, and entire bottom of sliding door (we may simply replace the door entirely), and misc other seems etc).

Other than the obvious problem of having an exterior color different than the interior... are there any problems we are overlooking?

Additionally, any comments about the additional heat absoption from the sun? We just got our non-ac westy a few weeks ago and have not had to drive it through a Philadelphia summer yet. I was wondering how much difference (if any) the exterior color makes on interior temps?... We are not going to paint the pop-top however and it would seem that the color on the top of the van would make the most difference.

Thanks for your input- Thomas J. Cook

82 diesel westy

PS-Thanks for the input on the bike rack vs diesel westy issue...most of the responses have been negative as far as keeping the bikes on the back due to the accumulation of soot on the bikes during long trips... I think I will try for a front bumber mount rack before I commit to drilling holes in my pop-top for the roof rack.