Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:07:27 -0800
From:         Tom Young <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: ignition key/lock mechanism
Comments: To: Mark Gajewski <mgajewski@MANVILLERUBBER.COM>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Mark:

Letting the dealer rape you is almost always a bad idea... Ouch!!!

Not sure what year Vangon you're talking about here, but I've removed the mechanism from 3 different air-cooled vans, and it's really not too hard. Didn't need a puller either. Once you remove the clamping bolts (first the steering wheel, turn signal switch, etc.) I've found the housing will slide off pretty readily, maybe with some gentle round-and-round tapping with a small hammer.

The only "hint" I can offer is to make sure you put the key in the ignition to unlock the steering wheel locking mechanism.