Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Oct 1998 22:13:16 -0600
From:         "Mark B. Magee" <condor2@FLASH.NET>
Subject:      Rear Wiper Motor Fizzle/Sizzle 91 Westy: Questions

Volks, On my trip this week to S. Padre Island, and in a S. Texas rainstorm the rear wiper quit and my wife reported "burning smells" from rear hatch. I did my best to ensure that power was secured to the rear wiper by clicking the switch handle until the "burning smell" subsided from the rear hatch. Additionally, the fuse (10 amp) did not blow and none of the wires to the motor looked as cooked as the smell given off. One wire, the yellow chasis ground had gotten fairly hot, but no melted insulation. Questions: 1) Is this symptomatic of a toasted rear wiper motor? 2) If yes to #1, should I be concerned the 10 amp fuse did not blow? 2a) Is #2 as well seen when rear wiper motor is toasted.

Anyone had symptoms similar. I can't understand how the fuse did not blow if the motor shorted to ground. There is still the electrical burn smell remaining in the void of the rear hatch, so I figure the motor must be cooked, but I wanted to run this past anyone who has been through this lately in case a relay or other component could be the culprit.

-- ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> Shalom 87 GL Mark Magee 91 Westy Kemah TX USA 96 Suzuki 4WD Sport John 14:6