Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Oct 1998 23:14:00 -0500
From:         Mark Hudgik <mhudgik@THE-SPA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fridge ? - No?  Fans!
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I don't have a fridge, so I'm not sure what size fan is needed (how large is the heat exchanger?), but I have a few new CPU cooling fans if someone wants to try one... or two??

Specs: ----- FoxFlow Thermal Product Model: 478-B Application: Intel Pentium P54C &P55C; AMD K6 & Cyrix M2 CPU Voltage: 12VDC Power: 1 Watt (Translates to 83 mA current) Fan Diameter: 1 7/8" Fan is mounted to heat sink with four screws. Underwriters and CE listed

I normally sell these for $7.95ea, but will discount them to any list members ($6.00ea + shipping) who want to try one.

My guess is that most fans will handle the extra current while the van is running ...in the above case, 100mA @14vdc vs. 83mA @12vdc. Then again fan usage could be reserved for when the van is parked. Anyone have any real life experience with these??

Mark Hudgik techattic.com PO Box 305 Granby MA 01033 800 765-3994 techattic@the-spa.com http://www.the-spa.com/techattic

At 02:16 PM 10/29/98 -0800, YauMan Chan posted the following: >I think most DC fans used in computers and electronic circuits will work for you. > > >So, if you have an 80 Amp Hour battery, and your little fan draws 80 Milliamps, you can run the fan for 1000 hours before the battery is drained! > >You can buy these fans from most electronics parts outlets or catalogs. My favorite is Jameco Electronic components. (www.jameco.com). For total mindboggling variety, try Newark Electronics... however, I don't know if they still sell to individuals. When I ran an electronics lab in Boulder, I got all my electronic parts from Newark. (If you are into electronic gadget, the 1500 page Newark catalog is the one to have - get one from www.newark.com!) > >Yau-Man Chan >87 GL. > > >>>> Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM> 10/28 1:08 PM >>> ><clipped> >Does anyone know of any suitable small super low current draw 12 volt >DC fans? If so, please post contact information, current draw, >price, etc. Also, what would be a nice way to power this ONLY when >the main burner heat is driving the refrigeration cycle? That feels >like the right approach to me. Doesn't this appeal to the inventive >spirit of you creative guys like Dave B.? No used three pound boiler >controllers please. Keep saying this: Simple, compact, reliable, >cheap, elegant. Say it, and designs will come. > >>> >