Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 1998 17:21:36 -0800
From:         Chris Paquette <cp@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Newbie: I've Joined the Tribe! Questions...
Comments: To: VW Bus Listserv <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Finally did it! Found a beautiful blue '88 Westie and got it. It fell into my path when I least expected it, and I'm very pleased. Some details for you who are far more knowledgeable than me in these matters:

Location: Bought from Lexus (!) dealer in Santa Monica, California. Has California plates.

Camping equipment appears to never have been used (protective plastic still on underside of stove cover, fridge very clean, sink very clean).

108,000 miles, no evidence of engine leaks or other obvious problems; alas no warrantee offered by dealer on 10-year old car (head gasket danger alert, right?)

Engine runs strong and smooth; automatic transmission likewise smooth and quiet. No leaks apparent on pavement under van after parking overnight.

Both tables and all curtains included. No rips in canvas poptop.

Brakes feel "mushy", and get less so when pumped once. Possible master cylinder problem, or am I just not used to the van's brakes yet?

Interior very clean, upholstery not ripped, all "mattresses" seem to never have been used.

Now, some newbie questions (I tried searching the archives, but the server was not responsive, so I couldn't find answers on my own):

No manual was included. At the Bus Depot site, I see two different books listed: the Bentley manual and Haynes repair manual. Which do I want, and will either of them tell me how the camping equipment works (how to light fridge, etc.)?

The exterior of the poptop looks a bit worn and weather beaten. Is there anything I can do to restore at least o little of its former luster? Armor All, or something else?

I need a replacement mosquito net for the poptop canvas - the existing netting has tears in it. I see some netting listed at the Bus Depot site, but I don't see any for the poptop. Am I missing a listing there, or is it only available somewhere else?

Should the canvas poptop be treated with some water-repelling chemical?

There is a nice car stereo in the van, and some nice speakers, too. The stereo will continue to run even when the engine is turned off and the key is withdrawn from the ignition. Any ideas on why this is?

Where can I get a cup holder? :-)

If anyone has a chart or list of routine maintenance which should be done after (or every) "x" number of miles, I'd really appreciate seeing it.

Thanks for any help, and apologies if these questions have been asked ad nauseum. I'm very happy with the Westie (perhaps ignorance is bliss?), and am content that after a search of at least two years, I finally have one of my own. I have decided to call him, fittingly, Rozinante.

Best to all on the list,

Chris