Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 1998 20:34:30 -0500
From:         Bulley-Hewlett & Associates <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Catholic heaters
Comments: To: john silverman <jsilver@MAIL.AROS.NET>,
          "vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Folks, with winter on their minds-

I like the idea of a less expensive, free-standing heater in for our Westy. Unfortunately, when we bring two other folks in the van, (our typical camping mode) there is too much stuff strewn around, and too many folks milling around to make one practical for us.

Further, I believe that a point-source heater in the Westy *could* exacerbate the progression of Westy-wallpaper-syndrome to our van. Someone recently pointed out that the cooling/heating cycle of a sunny day makes the aging wallpaper expand and contract at a different rate than the wooden substrate, making the wallpaper come loose from its adhesive. Makes sense, and I would think that a point-source heater would tend to pose a greater likelihood of producing similar conditions.

I like the utility of the Carver unit, and plan on purchasing one once I am cold enough. I have a sneaky plan for mounting it, and I am wondering if it is feasible. I want to put it in the big hollow space above the transmission, where the syncro fuel tank would reside. If the Carver needs to be protected from the elements, I could have shrouds made to encapsulate it. But I think this is the perfect place for the unit, close to the stock heater ducts and out of the way.

Additionally, I want to hook it into the stock heater ducting (we have a 1982, air cooled) similar to a BA-6. I know I could work out all the quibbles and bits if no one else has, but I'd rather learn from your mistakes, if you have tried this.

My thought is that the stock heater ducting (once insulated) does a great job of heating the van evenly. Further, the noise of the heater would be reduced by mounting the unit out of the van, and the length of duct run would serve to attenuate the noise a bit, too. We need all the space we can get inside, (again, we camp/hike with at least four folks); eliminating space under the seat is not an appealing option. We could pick up warm air from inside the van from a duct run to the 2" gap on the drivers side of the rear bench seat.

The idea of warmth all the way to the front of the van is quite appealing, as the front passenger seat, once spun around, serves as the Queen's throne, the Westfalia storage box (a.k.a., Porta-potty box) is the ottoman. I like for Sue to be warm. :)

Thoughts, opinions, and bold-faced chastisement welcome.

G. Matthew Bulley Principal Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Communications for Organizational Development www.bulley-hewlett.com (888) 468-4880 toll free

-----Original Message----- From: john silverman [SMTP:jsilver@MAIL.AROS.NET] Sent: Monday, November 02, 1998 2:49 PM To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM Subject: catalytic heaters

Cold weather campers...About a year or so ago there was a discussion of heaters on the list. Many folks have successfully used the Plat Cat VENTED catalytic heater, by Thermal Systems, out of Washington (I believe Olympia). We bought one, and it's great. They make 2 sizes, we got the larger one. It mounts to 2 bolts placed behind the passenger seat,and is fueled via T off the system and flexible hose. It removes easilyin the summer, and heats well in the winter (for skiing).

The advantage of this heater over the Olympian is that it's vented, and you don't have to open any windows or vents. We felt safer ('tho I expect our vans are drafty enough that a non-vented heater may be safe). The other advantage is that it has a thermostat, which in our case is mounted on the pillar behind the driver.

It may be a bit more $$ than the Olympian, and harder to find (The company is very good about ordering directly, their service is great).

We're very happy with the heater.

John '90 Syncro Westfalia--Vic SLC, UT