Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 1998 21:00:39 -0500
From:         "Anthony L. Mourkas" <frankenstein@TELPLUS.NET>
Subject:      Winter Storage Options

I have just purchased an 84 Westy that is in very nice shape mechanically and appearance wise. Naturally I am interested in keeping it that way. With the onset of Winter the date on which I will retire my van to Winter hibernation is fast approaching.

For seven Winter seasons I had just parked my previous Vanagon in an out-of-the way spot in my driveway. Put a lighter weight oil in it and started it up every three weeks or so if the temperature was fairly warm outside (around freezing). Swept the snow off the roof when it began to accumulate. Worked out pretty well-no worries attributable to method of storage.

However the new van is in much nicer condition cosmetically so I have been agonizing over my winter storage options. I seek the experiences and wisdom of my fellow (soon to be) snowbound list members. My options include:

1. Park it in the driveway. Easy, cheap, worked before. Van exposed to the elements though.

2. Park it in the driveway with a custom fit car (van) cover attached. Van protected from elements a little better. Must buy proper cover.

3. Put it in my garage! A no-brainer until I add that my 90 Passat, which I WILL be driving all Winter, must then stay outside with all the PITA attendant hassles of snow accumulation, hard starting, and the like. Wife refuses to give up the other indoor parking spot.

4. Rent a storage spot. Available to me, unheated but enclosed, for $140 for the season. Would probably want to cover the vehicle also. Disadvantages include no access for Winter improvement projects and no availability of the van as a backup vehicle if needed.

What would you suggest in my situation? What has worked for you?

Thanks,

Tony

Anthony L. Mourkas Hampden, Maine, USA 1984 Vanagon Westfalia