Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 1998 23:17:38 -0500
From:         John Anderson <janderson@IOLINC.NET>
Subject:      Re: silicone sealant removal
Comments: To: Bulley-Hewlett & Associates <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>,
          vanagon@vanagon.com

>I don't want to screw up the top in an way, as ours still has a bright >white shine to it. Question is, how does one remove gobs of silicone from >Fiberglas without using damaging chemicals or anything that might >scratch/haze the gel-coat? > >G. Matthew Bulley

Now here is something that amazingly really works. Had some $20,000 each rocket parts (4 sets, no shitting here folks $160k) at work with industrial silicone sealer better than any home stuff on them that we needed to recycle as new ones could not be made in small lots and the purchase and contract were over. After trying some proprietary stuff from DOW and the like to no avail our lead engineer, a level headed and always "interesting" guy said how bout that stuff at the hardware store. HUH? Go to your hardware/home supply store (Ace, Lowes, True Value) I'm not sure who makes the product but $7 will buy you this little bottle of white creamy goo for silicone sealant (bathtub caulk) removal. You apply it and let it sit overnight ideally. The next day the silicone will be separated sufficiently to pull peel it off neatly with no damage to the substrate. A second application may be needed. A stiff nylon bristle brush might help as well, particularly to work the stuff in between the first peeling and second application. Letting it sit a LONG time is critical.

John janderson@iolinc.net