Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Nov 1998 09:39:49 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Audi 5000 and Vanagon auto trans are the same???
Comments: To: John Anderson <janderson@IOLINC.NET>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 00:57 11/1/98 -0500, John Anderson wrote: >< I was just reading a message in the Quattro mailing list about someone >> stating that the Audi 5000 automatic was the same transmission as the >> Vanagon automatic. How can the be? The Audi would have to spin backwards >> to be in a Vanagon... >> > > >I have no idea which way the 5 cylinder spins but the trans works one way >regardless. The final drive in the tranny is flipped, ring gear side to >side relative to a van. I'd guess physically you can do as such in your van >if you'd like 4 reverse and one low forward speed. Quite common for people >who installed Porsche 5 speeds into buses.

All VW / Audi / Porsche engines spin in the same direction. Most manufacturers engine spin the same way, the exception to this is Honda.

>In point of fact the 5000 trans is compatible as is physically damn near any >VW auto tranny ever made, only the auto tranny section of course when >unbolted from the final. The van/Audi box is supposed to be heavier duty >than rabbit and early golf/jetta boxes but I've had a late A2 Jetta box >sitting dissasembled next to a '90 Vanagon box and they are part for part >identical except for the lack of the drillings for the tranny cooler on the >Jetta housing (which early vans lack as well) and the obvious parts one must >exchange (the outer most planetary ring gear, and the selector and throttle >levers and shafts.) The swap into my '90 is going fine now with about 15k >on the Jetta box, deleting the cooler. The box had somewhere between 50 and >75k (can't remember sat behind a friends garage for 2 years.) I think I >retained the Jetta valve body and it might shift slightly differently, but I >don't really recall, seemed a bit different immediately after the swap and >seems a bit peppier than the '87 van. In point of fact I never found a >thing wrong with the '90 tranny, I saw what had been contacting (the very >gear that was swapped into the Jetta box, made a whoop, whoop, whoop noise >in 1 and 2, perhaps a tad of wear on the very last thrust bearing) but never >figured a reason, hardly any wear at all in fact, my best guess was that the >shims set between the tranny and final on the driveshaft were a bit too thin >allowing a bit too much play, wobble, and contact(incorrectly set shims from >the factory on very later Vanagon automatics seem to be common on this list) >but I feared setting them correctly and reinstalling the damn thing only to >have that not be the problem (particularly as unless I missed something >quite obvious I though getting the SOBing final and tranny back together was >annoying as hell as you have to match 2 levels of fine splines meshing at >the exact same time in different locations without being able to turn either >to allow alignment, why one couldn't lead the other a bit is beyond me.) If >the Jetta box ever goes I'll try reinstalling the van box with correct >shims. I note I talked with quite a few people who had even installed older >rabbit trannies with no problems although they appear in the manuals to >indeed have fewer clutch discs and detail construction differences as VW >refined the design. My money is that a '89-'92 vintage golf/jetta box is >identical to an '81-'85? van box sans cooler and is probably a good swap if >you can obtain the tranny only section cheap. >I shot a bunch of pictures of the swap, been meaning to put them on a www >page, can scan and email to anyone needing them.

I never knew the Golf series slush boxes were the same (less the planetary gears)... too bad the manual boxes were the same or else I would have a Quattro transmission in my Syncro and could finally delete the VC for Quattros much better Torsen differential setup.

If you want to send me the photos and a write up about them I will gladly post them on my Vanagon section of my site.

-- David Marshall -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 88 2.0L VW Syncro 16" Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Volkswagen/Audi Parts http://parts.volkswagen.org -- -- mailto:david@volkswagen.org - Quesnel, BC, Canada --