Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Nov 1998 08:50:54 -0500
From:         John Anderson <janderson@IOLINC.NET>
Subject:      Re: tranny replacement questions? do it your self?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>times you can't tell unless you scrape all the gunk out with a pick (which is >something that I do everytime now and sometimes they still strip even when >using the proper tool. Oh well that is what vice grips are for.)

Unfortunately NOT on a vanagons ouboard CV's unlike a bus. I strongly urge everyone as always to anally clean all heads of CV bolts but particularly those in the trailing arms of outboard vanagon CV's because if you f*%$ one of them up, you will be in for real, real pain. Scraping with a pick, then a squirt of brake clean with an extension in each and finally a real socket driven tool on an extension and 20 taps with a hammer to seat the socketed tool on each bolt before removal. I'm not shitting here, I do this with every CV bolt and every brake bleeder screw. I've haven't damaged one of either in 10 years of a lot of rust belt VW's. The whopping investment of new bolts for the outers is not a bad thing if you intend to keep the van any time.

On nomenclature actually "allen" is often used to refer to a number of generic socketed fasteners, not merely the 6 point. But I guess 12 pt or "triple square" would be acceptable, I've seen "12 pt allen key" used in literature. As they are I guess an ISO/DIN sort of thing it would be interesting to know what they are referred to by some of our European counterparts in the civilized/standardized world.

John janderson@iolinc.net