Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Nov 1998 23:44:56 -0500
From:         John Anderson <janderson@IOLINC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Audi/Golf auto transmissions and personal stupidity
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Odd that we have been talking about all this because last Friday I did something pretty stupid and am about to pay for it. While diagnosing and testing out the Digifant ECU out of the '87 I had it in the '90 for the day, and as it had been doing some weird things at idle when in N, I had been placing it in N at stop lights and the like. So I'm at the bottom of the hill, have done this then inadvertently put it in 2, start up the hill and notice it isn't going into D so I look down grap the handle, and under full power at about 45-50 mph (top of green in 2) promptly toss it into REVERSE.

HEY I still am not used to autos in buses and vans, always go stomping for the clutch, you get the picture, I know I had no business depressing the the button just to tap it into D, but so goes life and all that. Well it took me what seemed the standard eternity to process the fact the ass end was sliding all over the place as it attempted to lock up in R, by the time (less than second I'd actually guess) I'd got it back into D I'd left about 20 feet of nice skid marks. Well that can't be good I figured, guess trial by fire on the ole Golf box for sure. So I took a look and everything seemed alright over the weekend then today a bit slushy taking off when cold, drive about 10 miles and smoke pouring out of the back end. Torque converter is slinging ATF over everything (common actually, did to a much, much lesser extent back before I replaced the seal when I installed this box) particularly onto the exhaust. So what did I do folks, is my damage confined to the converter or while I'm at it should I just figure on reinstalling the probably OK origional Vanagon auto box. I don't know shit about automatics in a real how they work and what they do sense more than in generality. I need opinions on what I need to replace and a good source for a converter at least.

Proves that natural stupidity would get me too surer than shit.

John janderson@iolinc.net