Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 1998 03:25:07 -0600
From:         "Robert S.Williams, MD-laptop" <rwill@DIGITECHS.COM>
Subject:      Catalytic Heaters
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Just as an aside, I have used an ELECTRIC heater in my westie and got condensation on the inside of the windows... I don't think codensation is a good measure of the relative advantages/disadvantages of vented vs unvented catalytic heaters. I could see where condensation might be a problem if you were living in your van year round without ever ventilating the vehicle.... but this is rarely the case.

I intend to get an UNVENTED heater for my Westie... it is easier to install, it draws no 12 Volt power and is safe enough for me. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of INCOMPLETE combustion .... the platinum catalyst pretty well ensures that combustion will be complete and therefore minimal, or no, carbon monoxide will be formed.

Most of those horror stories you hear about entire families being found dead in their vehicles are the result of using KEROSENE heaters... these burn with a flame and are incomplete in their combustion. Also I have heard of trouble with charcoal heaters used in closed vehicles; again incomplete conbustion. Oddly, I have never heard of a problem related to the use of a propane powered heater except for gas inhalation from heaters that had blown out during the night or burns from fire when bedding came in contact with the heater.

I think my main advice is NEVER SLEEP with a heater going in a vehicle. If the flame should extinguish, you have the potential for gas inhalation. if it should tip over or come in contact with bedding, then you might be burned severely. When you are unconscious, get ya a good sleeping bag and use that for warmth .... use the heater when you are awake and can defend yourself in case of malfunction.

I see the U.S. Catalytic heater is 11-3/4 H x 10-1/4" W x 3-1/2" D a perfect fit for behind the passenger seat facing rearwards without protruding up and blocking seat rotation. It costs $233.89 and puts out up to 2800 BTU. Yes, it is unvented but sure would be easy to install and should be safe if used only while awake.

Robert S. Williams, MD

PS: nitpicking comments about my spelling or typos will be cheerfully ignored.