Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 1998 12:18:57 EST
From:         Mm Bitner <Iaonbb@AOL.COM>
Subject:      catalytic heater comes full circle
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Wow! I must admit that when I posted about my Olympian NON-VENTED heater I never expected such a stong response...I've seen less heated (no pun intended) debates over much larger issues. Needless to say, It's been very interesting reading all the different, and in some cases, very educated opinions over the use of these different heaters...Who knew we had so many chemists and physicists on the list? as well as volks who actually worked for some of these companies! I just have to say again that I've used mine on numerous occasions with no prob's and very little concern about it's overall safety. It works extremely well for me and my needs, maybe not as well for others. Simply put, It's cheap, easy to install/remove, and it keeps me warm. Most of the responses I've seen have revolved around the safety of operating ANY heater which burns fossil fuels, and the inherent dangers associated with each. These concerns by no means should be taken lightly, however to each his own. One topic which has popped up lately that does concern me is all this talk about condensation and it's affects on the life of the van. I love my VW, family, and friends (not necessarily in that order!) and really would never knowingly do anything to harm my baby(VW). However, when winter camping I have observed large amounts of condensation buildup with AND without the heater. Now, I don't want to step on any toes but I have a hard time believing that the occasional use of this heater is going to cause my bus to rust from the inside out? Here in Colorado, the relative humidity is extremely low and I would think that once I return to my home elevation, that any moisture would then dry up? I'm originally from Iowa, so I don't need to tell all the Midwest folks about the humidity there in the summer. Wouldn't that cause condensation also? I've woken up to Iowa mornings feeling very moist to say the least, maybe that's not even the same kind of condensation?...chemists? What about all the coastal folks and the salt air? Salty roads in the winter? My point is that if we want to take all the fun out of owning these vehicles by second guessing everything we do in them, just because it MIGHT cause a problem someday, then they might as well never leave the garage.The spirit behind these wonderful vehicles is deeply rooted in functionality, so go with what werks and enjoy...nothing lasts forever! Besides, since when do steamy windows indicate something bad is going on inside!!! If this vans a rockin...

Marc & Monica Bitner Ft. Collins, CO '80 westy '72 bus '93 Passat glx wagon '86 (subaru wagon)