Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 1998 18:16:54 -0800
From:         Otmar Ebenhoech <Otmar@EVCL.COM>
Subject:      Re: California: Re: Open container (alcohol) law & the Westy????
Comments: To: Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.COM>,

>Storage of Opened Container > >23225. It is unlawful for the registered owner of any motor vehicle, >or the driver if the registered owner is not then present in the vehicle, >to keep in a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is upon any highway, any >bottle, can, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage which >has been opened, or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been >partially removed, unless the container is kept in the trunk of the >vehicle, or kept in some other area of the vehicle not normally occupied >by the driver or passengers, if the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk. >A utility compartment or glove compartment shall be deemed to be within the >area occupied by the driver and passengers. > >This section shall not apply to the living quarters of a housecar or camper.

Definition: House Car: 362. A "house car" is a motor vehicle originally designed, or permenantly altered,and equipped for human habitation, or to which a camper has been permanently attached...

What's very interesting is that sec 23229 (a) seems to allow drinking in a housecar by passengers, while riding, just like in a limo.

Possession of Alchoholic beverages: Exemtions 23229. (a) Except as provided in Section 23229.1 (under age 21), Section 23221 (Drinking in a motor vehicle) and 23223 (Possession of a open container in a motor vehicle) do not apply to passengers of any bus, taxicab, or limousine for hire licensed to transport passengers pursuant to to the Public Utilities Code or proper local authority, or the living quarters of a housecar or camper.

Does anyone know a lawer who can give us a definitive interpertation? I would sure love to let people drink in the stretch bus while I chauffeur then around!! That would be one time where even a sip before driving would surely get in trouble.

-Otmar- 86 Syncro (front) 82 (rear) Stretch GTI Westfalia. "Power of two" Several EVs (Electric Vehicles) http://www.evcl.com/strvan/strvan.html http://www.evcl.com/Picprev.html Electric Vehicle Components Ltd. (650) 494-9255