Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Nov 1998 19:50:13 PST
From:         vwvanman@MAILEXCITE.COM
Subject:      2.1L Power-Up Grade
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

After much calling to CA I have finally decided on the final specs for my 2.1L upgrade. This is also taking more time to completion. Completion time is estimated to be the second week of December.

Keep stock size 2.1L engine.

Counter weight crank. Rods rebuilt to "super rods" (shot peen, re-radius big end, racing rod bolts). pulley, crank, flywheel, pressure plate Full race balance: All rotating parts as a unit, rods, pistons. All bearings, rings, seals and hoses almost all parts will be German. Blue-Printed stock oil pump: (gear end clearance set to .00, chamfered (squared) oil inlet and exit (inside pump) to allow for increased flow and pressure.

New Heads with German valves, Chromoly spring retainers, Chromoly cut to fit Push Rods, Chromoly keepers, Rhino swivel feet, either 1.1 or 1.25 ratio Rhino rocker arms, solid rocker shafts, Aluminum clip on valve covers (allows for larger lifts with out hitting the stock valve cover and better cooling), valve cover vents (hoses routed to a tee in the stock breather pipe) Modified T1 Windage tray Modified cam shaft: slight increase of stock lift and duration New Platium 4 electrode plugs(I will be using the triple copper until they come out with them for the Vanagon) New German lifters

Ceramic coat: Combustion chamber, exhaust: (valve, radius, stem, port), piston top and side, sealing surface (eliminate head corrosion problem), entire exhaust system.

All new German hoses, water pump, radiator, metal pipes, air flow meter, K&N filter.

European Five speed transaxle, fully rebuilt with a .70 fifth gear (At 4K it will go about 97mph, I will not go that fast though, I wanted the RPMs to be around 3200 to 3400 @70 not 4K to increase gas mileage), "Lock-Right" locking differential, five speed shifter.

15" rims with a tire size to be determined after the Vanagon is on the road again. I am also rebuilding the front brakes.

Adding new rotors, bearings, master cylinder, clutch master and slave cylinder, hall sensor, windshield seal, wing vent seals.

The total price will be between $4K to $5K (The transaxle will cost around $2300- $1650 box, $300 diff, $150 fifth gear, shifting linkage conversion@$200)So the rest of the engine and other parts will cost @ 2700, (my budget is 5K, I am selling my 73 bus :( to help cover the costs for my "new" 88 Vanagon :).

I want to be able to take my van on the road and not worry about a 10 year old part breaking in the middle of nowhere, so I am replacing all critical parts with new.

Looking forward to driving my Vanagon again...

I bought another engine, I now have (3) 2.1L engines...(If I do not like this engine, I can build me a better one...)

I will have some spare parts for sale soon. (1) set of 2.1 crank and rods and pistons. (1) set of 2.1L air plenum with runners. (1) 87 2.1L engine case (1) pair of front and rear exhaust pipes. (1) auto trans flexplate (1) rear engine carrier (1) pair of 2.1L German heads (1) single 2.1L German head (1) 2.1L oil cooler (1) 88 radiator Plus some other miscellaneous engine stuff.

Robert