Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Nov 1998 01:12:29 -0800
From:         Otmar Ebenhoech <Otmar@EVCL.COM>
Subject:      Re: California: Open container (alcohol) law & the Westy????
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Sorry for the long post, I just find this matter quite important for my Limo Westie and all Westie owners as well. I also know that the consequences of getting it wrong could be dire. I figured I'd try to get all the legal stuff I found in one post.

From what I've learned it seems that the previously mentioned CHP officer would be in for serious legal harassment issues if he persisted in his views after being informed of the law.

I did a little poking on the California DMV site in concern to alcohol in a Westfalia. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

In the driver handbook it says:

"Do not carry on you or in the car, an opened bottle, can, or container with an alcoholic drink in it. A container of liquor, beer, or wine carried in a vehicle must be full, sealed, and unopened. Otherwise, it must be put in the trunk or a place where passengers don't sit. Keeping an opened container of an alcoholic drink in the glove compartment is specifically against the law.

In a bus, taxi, camper, or motor home, the law does not apply to non-driving passengers."

The RV handbook shows a Van Camper and Conversion under "TYPES OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES". http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl648/dl648pt6.htm making clear that a Westie is a RV, also known as a:

"House Car

362. A "house car" is a motor vehicle originally designed, or permanently altered, and equipped for human habitation, or to which a camper has been permanently attached. A motor vehicle to which a camper has been temporarily attached is not a house car except that, for the purposes of Division 11 (commencing with Section 21000) and Division 12 (commencing with Section 24000), a motor vehicle equipped with a camper having an axle that is designed to support a portion of the weight of the camper unit shall be considered a three-axle house car regardless of the method of attachment or manner of registration. A house car shall not be deemed to be a motortruck.

Amended Ch. 875, Stats. 1968. Effective November 13, 1968."

So then if we go to the original laws against open containers and drinking in a car we have:

"Storage of Opened Container

23225. It is unlawful for the registered owner of any motor vehicle, or the driver if the registered owner is not then present in the vehicle, to keep in a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is upon any highway, any bottle, can, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage which has been opened, or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed, unless the container is kept in the trunk of the vehicle, or kept in some other area of the vehicle not normally occupied by the driver or passengers, if the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk. A utility compartment or glove compartment shall be deemed to be within the area occupied by the driver and passengers. This section shall not apply to the living quarters of a housecar or camper. Amended Ch. 940, Stats. 1981. Effective January 1, 1982."

As well as:

"Drinking in Motor Vehicle 23221. No person shall drink any alcoholic beverage while in a motor vehicle upon a highway. Amended Ch. 940, Stats. 1981. Effective January 1, 1982."

And now a Exception for the 23221 above:

"Possession of Alcoholic Beverages: Exceptions 23229. (a) Except as provided in Section 23229.1, Sections 23221 and 23223 do not apply to passengers in any bus,taxicab, or limousine for hire licensed to transport passengers pursuant to the Public Utilities Code or proper local authority, or the living quarters of a housecar or camper. (b) Except as provided in Section 23229.1, Section 23225 does not apply to the driver or owner of a bus, taxicab, or limousine for hire licensed to transport passengers pursuant to the Public Utilities Code or proper local authority. (c) This section shall become operative on July 1, 1989. Repealed and Added, Ch. 1105, Stats. 1988. Operative July 1, 1989."

As I read this, it looks quite clear. Let the passengers drink and be merry! Just keep the beverages away from the driver and that drivers seat. I'd keep them behind the drivers seat since that is clearly the "living quarters of a housecar".

HTH -Otmar- 86 Syncro (front) 82 (rear) Stretch GTI Westfalia. "Power of two" Several EVs (Electric Vehicles) http://www.evcl.com/strvan/strvan.html http://www.evcl.com/Picprev.html Electric Vehicle Components Ltd. (650) 494-9255